Maryland CPAs have yet another weapon in their client-service arsenal.
The Maryland Comptroller's Revenue Administration Division has launched pServices, a website that will let tax preparers “complete certain tasks on behalf of their clients.”
The site is being rolled out in phases. Phase 1 will let preparers view their clients' Form 1099-G information online. Future phases will give preparers the ability to:
- view a taxpayer’s estimated payment history;
- bulk file a taxpayer’s extension returns;
- view a taxpayer's tax liability information; and
- view copies of a taxpayer's tax returns.
Using the site requires a two-step registration process.
- Preparers must register with a valid Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) and their Federal Adjusted Gross Income from the prior year’s Maryland tax return. “The site is not currently available to out-of-state preparers,” the Comptroller's Office reports, “but (it) will be in the future.”
- Clients also must register and authorize their preparers to view their information. To do so, taxpayers should visit Maryland's iFile system and select “1099-G Previous Year Refund Inquiry.”
Want more information? Check out Page 2 of the Summer 2012 issue of the Comptroller's “ReveNews” newsletter. You'll also find details by contacting (410) 260-7424 or email@example.com.