A Tweet from member James Carroll (@jamesuccpa) said it well:
Mobile is not the wave of the future. Mobile is NOW!
That kicked off the panel with yours truly moderating two mobile professionals and CEOs of tech consulting companies, Byron Patrick of Simplified Innovations and Donny Shimamoto of Intraprise TechKnowlogies, at the MACPA’s Technology Conference at the BWI Hilton.
We started with a poll of favorite social technologies:
- LinkedIn: 77 percent
- Facebook: 71 percent
- YouTube: 57 percent
- Twitter: 51 percent
- Instagram: 31 percent
- Slideshare: 14 percent
- SnapChat: 9 percent
We did a shootout, alternating between Donny (Android) and Byron (Apple iOS) on their favorite apps. Then we tapped the attendees via conferences.io for their favorite picks and generated an impressive list, which we are sharing here.
The No. 1 favorite was far and away Evernote (my personal favorite), and yes, it is well worth the paid professional version.
I attempted to capture all of the shouts-outs from the group and the ones in conference.io, but feel free to add any in the comments below.
- Onenote was another alternative to Evernote.
- File sharing: Sharefile, Dropbox, Box.net
- Fun apps: iheartradio, Waze (traffic), Weather, Gasbuddy, MyFitnessPal
- IFTTT (if this, then that): Cool-rules engine for social apps (I use it to direct favorite tweets to Evernote)
- Camscanner: For scanning and faxing documents with your camera
- Post-it Plus for digitizing Post-it notes (guess who’s favorite app this is?)
- e-Signatures: Rightsignature and Docu-sign
- Pager-duty for after hours team support
- Glimpse: For tracking ETA for meetings
- Podio: Social work and collaboration tool
- Asana: Project management for teams
Here is my presentation from the DigitalCPA Conference about staying connected with clients in the Digtal Age that has some more tools on slide 15:
And here are Tom’s Top 10 Tools for Learning
So, what’s your favorite app? Add your favorites in the comments below.