“In a world of change, the learners shall inherit the earth, while the learned shall find themselves perfectly suited for a world that no longer exists.” — Eric Hoffer
Are you a learner or one of the learned?
In a rapidly changing and complex world, the winners will be those who can keep their rate of learning greater than the rate of change (and greater than their competition), or L > C. That means much more than just fitting in your 40 hours of CPE (continuing professional education).
It means much more than just focusing on core technical skills.
It means much more than just the same old same old.
Your core technical skills are simply not enough to compete in today's rapidly changing world. You need business success skills.
The CPA Horizons 2025 Report identified lifelong learning as one of the top 10 themes for CPAs in the future:
- CPAs must devote more time to staying current with regulations and standards and social, economic, technological and political trends domestically and abroad.
- CPAs must further develop interpersonal skills to enhance relationships with colleagues, clients, businesses and employers.
- Real-time learning in the workplace will change the way CPAs learn and will help them adopt and adapt quickly and knowledgeably to ever-changing circumstances.
- Requirements for new CPAs must remain rigorous and demanding and be practical and relevant.
- CPAs must have a broad knowledge of business and soft skills (success skills) and not simply focus on technical accounting.
The five key competencies for the future are:
- Communications and leadership
- Strategic and critical thinking
- Collaboration and synthesis
- Anticipating and serving evolving needs
- Technology savvy
That is why we created the Business Learning Institute — to focus on those success skills. They are the skills, knowledge, and abilities that enhance your core technical discipline.
They are the success skills that enable you to move up the value chain for your employers, clients, and the public at larges.
They are the success skills that allow you to move up the career ladder faster.
CPE is dead. Long live learning.
Come to MACPA's Innovation Summit on June 27 in Baltimore for our Leadership track. And yes, we will have those core technical programs as well. Details and registration information are here.
Or contact us to have BLI brought to your organization on-site or via webcast, on-demand and blended learning from the “Top Gun” in training. E-mail us at email@example.com.