CPA day in Annapolis kicked off yesterday with a record turnout.MACPA‘s Chair of the Board, Tom Foard welcomes over 100 MACPA members to CPA Day. CPAs were briefed on our legislative agenda and then went to the “hill” visiting with Maryland’s 47 Senators and 141 Delegates in their offices across from the capital.
Our members were impressed by how well they were received and that the legislators actively listened to them. A surprise appearance by the Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, “Mac” Middleton at our morning briefing gave members a chance to hear why our attendance in Annapolis is so important.
Our 2008 legislative agenda is focused on five (5) key priorities:
- Passing the mobility / practice privelege bill for CPAs
- Passing amendments to the onerous corporate reporting requirements passed in special session
- Stopping the Tax Preparer Licensing Bill and proposing a more reasonable, less expensive alternative.
- Stopping Sales Tax on Accounting, Tax, Consulting services (again)
- Stopping efforts to change Maryland’s tort stem to a Comparative Fault system
The amazing thing to me was how many strong relationships our members have with their legislators.I guess that comes from being “true professionals”. Our members are involved in the Maryland Community, helping business, non-profits, and numerous volunteer activities. No wonder we like to say “Maryland Counts on CPAs!”
Listen to our legislative podcast here
Our CPA Day – Legislative Resources are here