Maybe you should.
Robert Half has released their 2014 Salary Guide to Accounting and Finance salaries and the outlook continues to be bright for degreed financial professionals with specialized skills.. While the nation’s unemployment continues to be high, accouting and finance professionals are in high demand and general short supply according to the latest study.
The latest Robert Half 2014 Salary Guide shows starting salaries in corporate accounting and finance are expected to rise between 2.7% and 4.5% this year. And if you are already in the workforce, the range is 2.9% to 4.5%.
Here are some key areas that stuck out for me in this latest survey:
- The CPA remains the “most sought after designation” according to the research.
- Other certifications, including the CGMA are adding differentiators for top performers.
- CFOs count employee retention (38%) and engagement (13%) as two of their top concerns in this latest study.
- Once considered nice-to-haves, non-technical skills (leadership proficiencies) are now indispensable element of successful finance teams and functions.
- Success skills like collaboration, communication, and business acumen are becoming essential for CPAs in corporate.
- Technology experience is needed throughout the finance function.
What can you do to retain your top talent and increase engagement?
Career paths (See theBounce) and career advancement through training are two of the top methods according to research by the Business Learning institute (an MACPA affiliate) in our post titled Is a paradigm shift in Talent Management needed?.
Bottom line is that you need to develop a systematic and strategic approach to your talent development so that you have the right talent with the right skills at the right time. Think of it as “Just-in-Time Talent Development”.
Want help advancing your career with “just-in-time leadership development – check out our BLI Express Leadership bundle (50+ CPE credits) with business acumen, communications, leadership, and presentation skills for less than a cup of coffee a day!
More resources on talent development:
Top 5 skills CPAs need now – CPA Success
Is a paradigm shift needed in Talent Management – BLI Online blog
Maryland CPA Society introduces new talent-focused leadership tools – CPA Practice Advisor
New Sage-BLI Curriculum aims to increase CPAs Value – CPA Success